Old & New Images of
Strong's Neck, Setauket, NY

In 1879 the Strong family built a bridge, shown in this A.S. Greene photo, to connect Dyke Road with Bridge Road on Strong's Neck. Usually called the Strong's Bridge or Strong's Neck Bridge on old postcards, it was also known as Little Neck bridge. It was torn down about 1937. By that time all of the neck was accessible by road. The card was mailed by a Strong in 1908. For a scan showing part of the message click here. (See the bridge sign.) 

"Strong's Bridge Setauket, N.Y." (with the first 'S' backwards) by R. S. Feather, mailed in 1916. There are many details almost hidden by the background. There are two men in the boat (the one on the right looks to be dressed for a business meeting), and along Dyke Road there are at least three buildings, plus the steeple of the Caroline Episcopal Church is visible over the first building on the left.
From the collection of Roger Mauser, scan by S.W. Pieroth

This A. S. Greene photo is labeled "St. George's Manor, Residence of Selah B. Strong, III, Setauket." Mailed in 1909. In this view the entrance to Setauket Harbor is at the left. This picture shows the home of Selah B. Strong, III, but it is not St. George's Manor. This house burned in the 1930's, but St. George's Manor still stands. Click here for an enlargement of the house.

Pictures & Information: John Strong
Current pictures of St. George's Manor on Strong's Neck. It was built about 1844 by Selah Brewster Strong. He tore down the previous home and built this house to provide room for his nine kids (later ten). The garage is older construction than the house. Click here to see the original home in 1792 and a short article about "Seat of the Honourable Judge Strong."
William "Tangier" Smith, who lived in the latter part of the 17th century, was reportedly granted a big chunk of LI real estate that extended across the island a bit east of here and included what we now call Middle Island and Mastic. The house "Longwood" in Middle Island was part of that estate, as was "The Manor of St. George" in Mastic. Smith also purchased most of what is now the Neck, and the isthmus leading to it. On that isthmus, he built a house called "St. George's Manor (George was the King). The fate of that house I'm not sure of, but it probably burned down. A second house was built on essentially the same site as the current one. A picture of that appeared in a 1792 edition of the NY Times and was labeled as the home of Selah Strong who by then owned the property; apparently he named that house St. George's Manor. Trouble is, I do not know when that was built. Selah Brewster Strong (Selah's grandson) built the current house. (See the sign.) [Pictures & Information: John Strong.]
Upper Barn. Built late nineteenth century by Selah B. Strong. Pictured in Miss Kate Strong's "True Tales from the early days of Long Island." [Click the sign for the full picture.] Pictures by Susan W. Pieroth

"Bay View Harbor Estates, Inc. Strong's Neck, Setauket, Long Island, N. Y. On all Long Island there is no finer place than this and no better time to find it out than now." The card was mailed in 1946. The back says, "50 Miles from Broadway." In the right corner is part of Old Field. The road down the middle of Strong's Neck is Maple. The first road from the left that goes toward the shore is Cedar Lane. North is to the right.

Signs of Strong's Neck
Back to the Home Page
The contents of these pages is copyrighted 2004-8 by the Strong's Neck Civic Association, unless otherwise stated. The information and images are for individual use only. Nothing may be copied to another web site or published in any form without specific permission. Postcard images provided by Susan W. Pieroth.